Philosophy and Principles
What the HPE Design System is and why we’re creating it.
The HPE Design System contains an open-source library of elements consisting of working code, best practices, design resources, human-centered guidelines, and a vibrant community of contributors. It enables experiences to be crafted with uncompromising integrity.
The Design System is built on 3 Pillars:
- Human-centered design
- A common design language
- Collaboration and community
We provide for the needs of people and their work. The HPE Design System is crafted upon user research and listening to customers first. We strive to create consistent and usable design patterns that will make HPE products and services a joy to use by customers, partners and internal HPE users.
Common design language
The HPE Design System provides a common language for designers, developers and stakeholders. This allows everyone to speak the same design language without having to translate from one language to another. This also allows for more precise specification of UX requirements.
A common set of UX/UI components for designers and developers helps to make implementation easier and more efficient. These pre-built components provide UX consistency, localizability and accessibility.
Collaboration and community
Collaborating with you and participating in ongoing conversation is how we can build and evolve the design system. Your voice is critical to cultivating a relationship that identifies issues and contributes to the growth and vitality of the community.
Our principles provide clear criteria for the concepts, craftsmanship and creativity our brand demands and which our clients deserve. They are for designers and non-designers alike, anyone authoring or authorizing any form of design on behalf of HPE. Designs created using these principles will be innovative and adventurous, purposeful and useful, and composable yet integrated.
Focus on the experience
Understanding customer needs is critical to creating great user experiences (UX).
- Consider the use cases
- Simplify the end-to-end experience, making it elegant, intuitive and easy
- Express creativity by empathizing with the user
Be as simple as possible. Focus on the tasks that users need to do with intentionality and mindfulness.
- Reduce visual and cognitive overload
- Understand “why” things are needed in your design
- Design for the mainstream use cases, yet provide ways to accomplish less frequent tasks
Create designs that are easy to understand and use.
- Make use of affordance and common user interface paradigms
- Use consistent patterns and terminology within your design and across designs
- Create self-documenting designs to minimize the need to refer to online help and other user documents
Lead people to success
Present paths that guide people to accomplish the task or goal they need to achieve. It is the right thing to do and it results in happy customers.
- Show only choices and fields that apply to the current context
- Organize choices and fields with most common/reasonable first
- Reveal additional fields only when they apply
- Provide appropriate safeguards to protect the customer and HPE from mistakes or unintentional actions
Still have questions?
Something missing or looking for more information? Get in touch to help make the HPE Design System better.